J. W. Kennedy & Son Welding Supplies, Inc.
Since 1911 J. W. Kennedy & Son has been serving the Trenton, N.J. area. With its beginings as a machine shop started by Joseph W. Kennedy on Conovers Alley. The son of Irish immigrants, he worked with anything metal, even the new invention of the era automobiles. At the begining of the 1940's Joseph moved his shop to Perry Street. After World War II, Joseph and his son Jack Sr. decided to go into business together in welding supplies, compressed gases and fire safety equipment. Jack Sr., who grew up around his father's shop and worked for General Motors during the war knew the industry well. In the late 1950's the current building was built. In the 1960's Jack's sons Dennis and Jack Jr. joined in the family business and in 1980 the sons decided to seperate the business with Dennis taking the welding supply portion and Jack Jr. taking the fire safety portion. In 1990, Dennis' oldest son Brian joined the company and in 2000, Dennis' youngest son Shawn joined. The business has grown from a small machine to a company that supplies welding supplies, compressed gases for welding and other uses like medical oxygen, nitrogen, and Carbon dioxide. The company also offers welding machine repairs and welding machine rentals.
Joseph W. Kennedy's (second from right) machince shop on Conovers Alley in Trenton.
The current building at 548 Perry Street back in 1967 with some of the employees.
Jack Kennedy Sr. with his 1903 Oldsmobile in front of the original store on Perry Street in the 1950's.
Another view of the store in 1967.